Covid-19General News

Over 200 passengers complete coronavirus tests on day 1 of re-opening of Kotoka airport

About 200 passengers on three separate flights successfully underwent COVID-19 tests at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA) on Tuesday, September 1, 2020, the first day after the reopening of the airport due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Ghana Airport Company Limited (GACL) made the number of passengers known in a Facebook post.

The GACL said senior officials of the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Aviation, and Ghana Health Service were present at the airport to witness the facilitation process.

The cost of the test at the airport is US$150 per each passenger.

The Kotoka International Airport (KIA) has reopened for commercial and international passenger flights, five months after it closed its gates to the world as part of the restrictions on movement to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in the country.

Chartered flights, including KLM, Tap Portugal and Titan Airways from London, Amsterdam and Lisbon, started arriving from 2:15 p.m. Tuesday.

The voices of airport announcers were heard on the public address system at Terminal Three, welcoming passengers into the country, while at the same time reminding them of the COVID-19 protocols they needed to comply with.

Those who arrived yesterday were made up of evacuees whom the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration had facilitated, diplomats, willing Ghanaians returning home, as well as foreign nationals who had business to transact in the country.

Ghana’s Political History – 70th Anniversary Photo Exhibition
Unlike previous arrangements, all passengers are now required to take mandatory tests at the airport after arriving in the country.

However, the Daily Graphic team stationed at the airport observed that travellers who arrived on the opening date went through different arrangements. While some of them passed without being subjected to a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests because they had certificates to set off exemption from tests, another category was picked up by the Operation COVID Safety buses stationed at the airport, amid security escort, to begin their mandatory 14-day quarantine.

The second category of passengers who went through the new regime came out of the Arrival Hall one after another in a staggered process with their luggage after going through the mandatory testing.

Continue reading at Graphic Online


Ghanaweb Onine is dedicated to bringing you news from various media groups in Ghana,Africa and around the world to keep you informed and educated as you go about your daily lives. Disclaimer: The views of each article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect that of Ghana web online.We are not responsible for any misinformation or incorrect statement. If you need any more clarification on an article please direct them to the original source.All contents belong to their respective owners we do not own it.

Related Articles

Back to top button