Kate Middleton is self-isolating after coming into contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19, Kensington Palace announced.
The Duchess of Cambridge was in the crowd at the Wimbledon tennis championships on Friday, though it has not been disclosed when the contact took place.
Kate has not tested positive herself and is not currently displaying any symptoms, the palace confirmed.
The palace said in a statement released to Newsweek: “Last week The Duchess of Cambridge came into contact with someone who has subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.
“Her Royal Highness is not experiencing any symptoms, but is following all relevant government guidelines and is self-isolating at home.”
Kate will have to isolate for ten days under government guidance meaning she will miss two major events today.
Prince William will be without his wife at a church service marking the 73rd anniversary of Britain’s National Health Service (NHS) at St. Paul’s Cathedral.
The health chiefs who helped plan Britain’s response to the pandemic are due to be there alongside hundreds of front line staff and patients.
Afterwards, Kate and William had been due to host a tea party at Buckingham Palace.
Last week, a spokesperson said: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will celebrate the 73rd anniversary of the NHS on Monday 5th July.
“In the morning, Their Royal Highnesses will attend a Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral, before hosting a ‘Big Tea’ for NHS staff at Buckingham Palace in the afternoon in their roles as Joint Patrons of NHS Charities Together.”
In addition to the tennis, Kate and William took Prince George to watch England beat Germany 2-0 in the last 16 of the Euro 2020 Championship on 29 June.
Kate had the coronavirus vaccine in May at the Science Museum, in London, and used the couple’s Twitter account to thank health workers.
At the time, she wrote: “Yesterday I received my first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at London’s Science Museum. I’m hugely grateful to everyone who is playing a part in the rollout – thank you for everything you are doing.”
Yesterday I received my first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at London’s Science Museum. I’m hugely grateful to everyone who is playing a part in the rollout – thank you for everything you are doing. pic.twitter.com/h427iT0n4x— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) May 29, 2021
Prince William contracted COVID-19 in April last year but did not make news of his infection public.
It was only made public after he mentioned the virus gave him breathing problems to a guest at a royal engagement, who then mentioned the incident to The Sun.
Prince Charles contracted coronavirus in March last year and later described the experience in a video message for charity Age UK.
In April 2020, he said: “Having recently gone through the process of contracting this coronavirus, luckily with relatively mild symptoms, I now find myself on the other side of the illness but still in no less a state of social distance and general isolation.
“As we are all learning, this is a strange, frustrating and often distressing experience, when the presence of family and friends is no longer possible and the normal structures of life are suddenly removed.
“At such an unprecedented and anxious time in all our lives my wife and I are thinking in particular of all those who have lost their loved ones in such very difficult and abnormal circumstances and of those having to endure sickness, isolation and loneliness.”