Life Style

Dozens test positive for coronavirus after attending wedding

Dozens of people who attended a wedding earlier this month at a retreat in Stanwell Tops, Australia, have tested positive for the coronavirus, health officials said.

During a news conference on Monday to provide an update on the pandemic in the country, New South Wales Chief Health Officer Dr. Kerry Chant said six guests from the March 6 wedding at Tumbling Waters Retreat were infected with the virus.

By Friday, that number had climbed to 31, the health department told Sky News Australia.

One of the guests was Australian Sen. Andrew Bragg, who said he was among those who tested positive.

“I was a guest at a friend’s wedding in Stanwell Tops on 6 March. After satisfying the guidelines of direct exposure and flu symptoms, I have tested positive to Coronavirus,” he tweeted. “I am following the guidelines set by NSW Health and will isolate myself.”

View this post on Instagram

My partner @scottjmaggs and I tied the knot in a glorious fashion on the 6th of March at the beautiful @tumblingwatersretreat in Stanwell Tops. We were surrounded by our nearest and dearest and it was one of the best moments of our lives. ⁣ ⁣ The only media attention my 💗 and I were hoping for was to hero all the amazing people and small businesses who helped make our day so special. But due to factors outside our control, our wedding has become front page news for something we could never anticipate… ⁣ ⁣ On our honeymoon we were messaged by a couple of guests who had developed symptoms of COVID-19 and were smart enough to get tested. For this we are eternally grateful, because when their results came back positive it enabled us to immediately inform our guests, provide information to the Health Department and contain the transmission of something currently spinning the world into unprecedented fervor. ⁣ ⁣ Australia was a very different place than it is today. There were no travel bans or restrictions on gatherings and we would never have put people at risk if we had known what we know now. ⁣ ⁣ There are now 37 confirmed cases in our guest list. Some of whom are elderly family members and people who travelled from interstate and overseas. It’s a very serious situation and our main priority is the health and safety of our guests and the broader community. ⁣ ⁣ Normally, Scott’s charity (@beardseason) is all about ‘early detection’, but unless you’re showing symptoms it’s important not to overwhelm the health system. Instead, know the warning signs, look out for each other and give people a (sanitised) hand instead of pointing fingers. Australia is all about mateship. We showed it during the bushfires and we can do it through this. ⁣ ⁣ This was the the last thing in the world we wanted for our special day. But this crisis is going to affect so many of us in so many ways. We hope that by sharing our story we can remove the stigma about testing positive and help people stay calm in the face of adversity. We’re all in this together, and together we overcome it 🙌🏻💗✌️⁣ ⁣ 📸 @katrollings_weddings

A post shared by Emma Metcalf (@emma_metcalf) on

“I was a guest at a friend’s wedding in Stanwell Tops on 6 March. After satisfying the guidelines of direct exposure and flu symptoms, I have tested positive to Coronavirus,” he tweeted. “I am following the guidelines set by NSW Health and will isolate myself.”

The bride, Emma Metcalf, said in an Instagram post on Friday that she and her husband were on their honeymoon when they learned that some of their guests had become infected.

Metcalf said that at the time of their wedding, Australia did not have any travel bans or restrictions on large gatherings.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced a travel ban on all nonresidents entering the country and limited non-essential indoor gatherings to less than 100 people.

Metcalf said they “would never have put people at risk if we had known what we know now.” She said some of those who have tested positive are elderly family members and people who traveled from overseas for their ceremony.

“It’s a very serious situation and our main priority is the health and safety of our guests and the broader community,” she wrote. “Australia is all about mateship. We showed it during the bushfires and we can do it through this. ⁣⁣This was the last thing in the world we wanted for our special day. But this crisis is going to affect so many of us in so many ways.”

Sonja Keller, the owner of Tumbling Waters Retreat, told NBC News in a statement Friday that staff members who worked the wedding and were eligible for testing were cleared.

“Their results came back negative for Covid-19 virus. All my team are in good health and so are their families,” Keller said.

The retreat said in an Instagram post that they are working closely with the health department and following their guidelines.

“It is still unclear the source of the contagion,” Tumbling Waters Retreat said. “I feel that when this nightmare is over our team will be busier than ever – we all just need to not panic, keep rational and weather the storm.”

|Yahoo

Tags
Show More

GWO

Ghanaweb Onine is dedicated to bringing you news from various media groups in Ghana,Africa and around the world to keep you informed and educated as you go about your daily lives. Disclaimer: The views of each article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect that of Ghana web online.We are not responsible for any misinformation or incorrect statement. If you need any more clarification on an article please direct them to the original source.All contents belong to their respective owners we do not own it.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close