Central Regional Minister justifies shutdown of UEW

The Central Regional Minister, Kwamina Duncan has justified the Regional Security Council’s decision to shut down the University of Education, Winneba, saying the move was to prevent further destruction of the institution’s properties.

This follows a 3-day demonstration to demand the reinstatement of some dismissed lecturers.

Police in the area had to rely on reinforcement on Thursday to restore calm on campus.

The school was subsequently shut down on Thursday after a protest by students turned chaotic.

Students were given up to 6:00 pm on Thursday to vacate the school.

Mr. Duncan in justifying the move on Eyewitness News said: “We needed to do what we did because the students were chanting war songs and all that. It took the Kasoa division, Mankessim division and the Cape Coast division to handle the situation. The Regional Security Council by its mandate is supposed to ensure that the town is secure.”

He indicated that a new meeting with stakeholders will be called to fix a reopening date for the University.

Meanwhile, two students of the school have been arrested for defying a directive to vacate campus.

According to DSP Irene Oppong, the Central Regional Police PRO the two male students were arrested in the halls after Police went for routine checks on campus.

She explained that the two were arrested because there were some activities going on after the six pm deadline which could be linked to these two individuals.

“We went round to close the lecture and also their halls [of residence] and in the process, two people were still there after 6 pm and there were some activities going on that we think they could be linked to so that is why they were picked.”

They have been handed over to the Winneba Police Command whilst investigations continue.

The University of Education, Winneba was shut down indefinitely following a third day of students’ protests against the school’s Vice-Chancellor, Rev. Fr. Prof. Anthony Afful-Broni.

Head of the Central Regional Security Council who is also the Central Regional Minister, Kwamina Duncan announced the closure of the school after visiting the campus on Thursday morning.

Kwamina Duncan told the media “on the advice of the Regional Security Council, we cannot allow the university to be in session.”

In the course of the three days of protests, buildings and vehicles had their windows shattered.

Police officers were forced to use tear gas to disperse protesting students.

The students in retaliation pelted stones at the police leaving at least one officer injured.

A police reinforcement team was sent from Accra this morning to restore calm on campus.

The students say there is a leadership crisis at the school and have been demonstrating to demand the reinstatement of some sacked lecturers.

By:Marian Ansah | citinewsroom.com | Ghana

Show More


Is a network hub designed to bring you news from various media groups in Ghana,Africa and around the world to keep you informed and educated as you go about your daily lives. Disclaimer: The views of each article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not reflect that of Ghana web online.We are not responsible for any misinformation or incorrect statement. If you need any more clarification on an article please direct them to the original source.All contents belong to their respective owners,we do not own it.

Related Articles

Back to top button